VoIP Basics 101
What is VoIP?
In general non-technical speak, VoIP it is the ability to make phone calls via your internet connection instead of going through or paying your regular phone company.
VoIP stands for "Voice over Internet Protocol". OK, so I can see some eyes glazing over but it just means "internet phone".
Internet Phone; Internet Telephone; Voip - all mean the same thing - making cheap calls over the internet to anywhere. The calls can even be FREE.
VoIP might also be referred to as:
- Voice over Broadband
- Internet telephony
- IP Telephony
- Broadband Phone
- Broadband telephony
What is a VoIP Router?
The router is provided by the VoIP provider. See the diagram below to know what to expect.
VoIP can facilitate tasks and provide services that may be more difficult to implement or expensive using the more traditional PSTN. Examples include:
- The ability to transmit more than one telephone call down the same broadband-connected telephone line. This can make VoIP a simple way to add an extra telephone line to a home or office.
- 3-way calling, call forwarding, automatic redial, and caller ID; features that traditional telecommunication companies (telcos) normally charge extra for.
- Secure calls using standardized protocols (such as Secure Real-time Transport Protocol.) Most of the difficulties of creating a secure phone over traditional phone lines, like digitizing and digital transmission are already in place with VoIP. It is only necessary to encrypt and authenticate the existing data stream.
- Location independence. Only an internet connection is needed to get a connection to a VoIP provider. For instance, call center agents using VoIP phones can work from anywhere with a sufficiently fast and stable Internet connection.
- Integration with other services available over the Internet, including video conversation, message or data file exchange in parallel with the conversation, audio conferencing, managing address books, and passing information about whether others (e.g. friends or colleagues) are available online to interested parties.
JOSE LEONARDO MONCADA TORRES